The Church of Saint Nicholas of Myra, usually known as St. Nicholas Church, is an Anglican church in Brighton. It is both the original parish church of Brighton and the oldest surviving building in Brighton. It is located 3 minutes from the Clock Tower.
The Doomsday book of 1086 records the presence of this church, valued at £12.
The higher ground of the hill where the present church stands would have been better strategically and defensively, as well as being highly visible to residents of the village and the fishermen at sea.
This church is dedicated to St Nicholas, the patron saint of sailors and fishermen.
Until 1873, St Nicholas was the Parish Church of Brighton and it still is the Mother Church and the only church in central Brighton of ancient interest.